Monday 12 July 2010

I'm Dying Mummy!!! Help!!

Last night was the start of many things to signify my boys growing up.

Plainly put, D got a nosebleed. I am one of those peculiar people who has never had a nosebleed. And from the looks of our bathroom/slaughterhouse yesterday circa 8pm, I never want one either.

He was terrified bless him. Screaming at the top of his lungs for me, I knew something was wrong with the way he shouted for me. I bolted up stairs and my son was covered in blood. I inwardly freaked for a split second and realised it was a nosebleed. His little brother was crying to, he hates the sight of blood, which is odd, considering that he is usually the cause of blood in our house.

I maneouvred D to the sink, where a sudden gush made it look like I'd slit a pig's throat in there within seconds. I held his head forward over the sink, with strict instructions to STAY LIKE THAT, and belted down the stairs to phone my mum, and look on nhs direct at the same time.

My mum sounded as if I'd interrupted her nightly tv viewing, which I probably had, but who cares? Emmerdale lost it's appeal to me when I was seven and I realised i couldnt stand it. She told me to look on the internet and let her know how things panned out. (After corrie of course!)

The nhs direct website is fab, it gives you symptoms causes treatments and it's just cool. Very helpful. It told me to pinch D's nose together for 10 minutes to clot the blood and stop it flowing. Then, it told me to make sure he sat upright for the next few hours. Erm, I disagree, NHS. Its nine pm and he will be one tired little boy come 7am when he has to get up for shool. So we missed that bit out. And after twenty minutes of firm gentle reassurance that he merely had a nosebleed and wasn't dying, he went to bed.

The funniest bit of the entire incident was J, using wipes to clean the blood off everything in sight, while sticking his pink little tongue out the side of his mouth, and exclaiming every few minutes 'Blood has germs, we need to clean it up'.

Where the hell did a five year old pick THAT information up????

Next time on Messy Mummy.....

The day the guineapig and rabbit came home and mummy was scared of picking them up....

3 comments:

  1. Oh no dont remind me of that part of parenthood please! My LO hasnt had any yet, hes 3. Like you I've never had one either, well not that I ever remember!
    Certainly sounds like an interesting sight! At least they helped with the cleaning up! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter just had her first nosebleed (at church of all places), so it was weirdly comforting to read about another parent going through the same experiences.

    Also wanted to let you know that I mentioned you on my blog :) http://hiddendomestic.blogspot.com/2010/09/september-secret-post-club.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping the OCD side of J comes in handy soon lol!

    ReplyDelete